Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My 8 week pup has gotten into the bin yesterday and eaten

Customer Question

My 8 week pup has gotten into the bin yesterday and eaten egg shells, he is not himself and has a red yellow ( kinda like a mix of pus and blood) diarrhea I can't get to the vet and I'm just wondering if I should prepare
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zazu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zazu?
Customer: His brothers and sister are fine they also are egg shell but have no issues today
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ate not are sorry
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Zazu. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Zazu this evening to cause his lethargy and diarrhea, but it is most likely all due to getting in to the bin and eating egg shells! However we also have to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case here with Zazu, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this lethargy and diarrhea continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure Zazu has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on Zazu's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Zazuand hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. If he improves, but still has diarrhea tomorrow, then do get him seen by a weekend vet, and be sure to take in a sample of his diarrhea with you, as they may want to get that tested. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully my message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E