Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog may have a bug in her ear. Is there anything I can do

Customer Question

My dog may have a bug in her ear. Is there anything I can do at home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is may?
Customer: 3yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about may?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. If you think your dog has a bug in his ear, you can gently flush that ear with luke warm water to bring it up. If there was any concern of infection, then salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) could be used instead as it can reduce bacterial/yeast levels. Furthermore, if ear mites were your specific concern, you could treat for those with a topical multi-species anti-parasitic drug (ie Stronghold/Revolution, Advantage Multi). And those would be ideal since we don't want to risk putting any ear drugs into the ear without having the local vet check to make sure the ear drum is intact (since if we did and it wasn't, we could see deafness/seizures/etc). So, those would be our above options for bugs as well as mites and to reduce infection if present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, She was just chasing a lizard in some Ornamental grass and I think she got one of those fuzzy flowers in her ear or maybe a small bug from it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

If she was, its quite possible that one or even a bit of the plant may have gotten in, but hopefully we can just flush that out for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.