Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My two dogs were play wrestling and the one got her mouth

Customer Question

My two dogs were play wrestling and the one got her mouth stuck in the others collar. We cut the collar of and both seemed ok at the time but the one being choked now has red eye like a blood vessel popped and her nose was bleeding a small amount. It stopped and hasn't done it since last night when the incident happened but they were playing again and it just started bleeding again. Worries me. I have 21 animals and have spent over $300 on vet bills in the last week. I rescue them and don't mind taking to vet but if it seems normal I would rather not freak out like I am doing now. The choke last maybe a minute or two before cut off and released.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She does have lymes. It's under control with no issues in the past 2 years. Otherwise she is healthy.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 days ago.
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Is the nose slightly bleeding? Is this one otherwise acting normal? Any rat or mouse baits in the environment?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 days ago.

In a situation like this, it may not be the worst situation. When a choking happens, there can be some scleral (the white part of the eye) bleeding due to the incident. I've seen this at my ER a few times when similar situations happen with two dogs and their collars. As far as the bleeding starting again, if it is from the nostril, then it could have been a clot that was there from the previous day was knocked off. As long as there isn't any lethargy, increased breathing rate or effort and the bleeding stops again - it wouldn't be overly worrying.