Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He won't quit chewing. He's making himself bare.I use

Customer Question

He won't quit chewing. He's making himself bare.I use frontline
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing these signs?

Where does he chew most (ie back, tail base, belly, feet, etc)?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

When did you last use Frontline on Zaden? Any fleas since?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
3Wks
Chewing whereo he can get to
Legs butt back tail
Skin very warm dry hair brittle
Flakey. Now spotty redness from chewing
No diet chug
Frontline 6 30
Fleas when goes outside not many small.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now given the areas he is targeting, this does raise concerns of a diffuse allergy. This can be a reaction to diet (less likely here), flea saliva (a concern with Frontline since we are seeing a lot of flea resistance with this and it only takes one bite to trigger signs), pollens, or in reaction to something being used in the house (ie laundry soap, carpet powder, etc). As well, we can see these areas targeted with anal gland issues but if he isn't scooting his bum on the ground nor has any changes around the rectum; then that would be less likely.

In any case, we'd be best to retreat with a more up to date flea product (ie Advantage II or Multi, Comfortis, Bravecto, etc) and can do that if its been 2 weeks since the Frontline. As well, to counter underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if we have any open lesions, you can also clean these 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on him for the short term.

Overall, his signs do raise worries of an allergy causing his irritation. So, at the moment we can try the above. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or if this doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this for Zaden.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**