Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

He is an 8 year male German shepherd. He is walking around

He is an 8 year male German shepherd. He is walking around with head down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I looked at his feet as I trimmed his nails and didn't see anything
JA: What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: He has been very healthy until now. He gums are a normal color, and he isn't showing pain when touched

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Does it seem like he does not want to lift his head? Is the only symptom he is holding his head down?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay can you do a test for me? Put his head in your hands. Make him look all the way up, down, left, and right. See if he resists.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was ok lifting up and moving side to side, but when I lowered his head he flinch a bit

Thank you. I had a feeling he would. That indicates neck (cervical) pain.

It is pretty common in dogs because they walk with a collar and leash around the neck and they also play kind of rough sometimes.

He should see the vet in the morning for muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories.

Elevate his food and water dish so he does not have to reach down.

You could hold an ice pack over his cervical neck area. Hold it over the back or top of his neck for 20 minutes an hour until bedtime. That should help a bit with pain and inflammation.

If you need to walk him use a harness so there is no pressure on his neck with the leash and collar.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That makes sense. He doesn't play much, he is a big couch potatoe. But does pull on the leash a bit. He likes to read his pee mail. I discourage any pulling at all. I like them relaxed. But you can't teach an old dog new trix. Maybe I will invest in a harness.

The neck pain normally resolves in a few days to a week.

It is very common. All of my own dogs have had it at some point.

I hope he feels better. Let me know if you have any other question or concerns I can assist you with.

: )