PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She has had 5 healthy pups today the last being at 4 pm and

Customer Question

Hi. She has had 5 healthy pups today the last being at 4 pm and and she has started panting again. Is this normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Should I expect more pups after such a long period of time
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elsie 2 and half. German Shepherd
JA: What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Why
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the German shepherd?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did Elsie have any diagnostics to determine how many puppies you should expect?
2) We're not on the same time zone. Can you tell me how many hours it's been since the last pup was birthed?
3) Is this her first litter?
4) If not, how many puppies did she produce with her last litter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello. No she didn't have a scan or x-ray. This is her first litter and the last pup was born almost 4 hours ago

It is possible for mom to take a break in delivering her young, but we would be concerned by the 2 hour mark if she had not continued labor. The catch here is that we don't know how many babies to be expecting, so she may or may not be finished. The safest approach if the panting continues and contractions don't begin within the next 15 minutes (with her producing young within 30 minutes following) would be an examination by a veterinarian. An x-ray of her abdomen will tell the vet if she has any young remaining and will permit them to assist her if she is having difficulty with delivery. In some cases, a c-section may be needed to retrieve the young if the mother is unable to produce them naturally. Hopefully since the mother has already produced 5 babies she will be fully able to produce any others if she's still in labor.

Make sure to check the ambient temperature in the room where she's delivering to ensure it's not too warm. A temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit/23 degrees Celsius is ideal.

As well, if the panting persists your vet may also wish to check bloodwork on her to insure her calcium levels have not dropped into a critical range. Typically this happens within a few days to a few weeks following delivery, but it's worth mentioning anyhow so you're aware of what steps to take should the panting not resolve.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Elsie?