Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a ramp to come up the 3 steps to our back stoop by

Mr 5 yo shifty refuse...
We have a ramp to come up the 3 steps to our back stoop by Mr 5 yo shifty refuse to take the Las step coming up into the house . She stutter starts and kind of rocks like she thinking of jumping but won't. When we scorch her legs and back foe tenderness and pain we get nothing she also has no problems taking her daily 30-45 minute walks in the neighborhood.. We also have a set of "doggy steps" for her to get into our bay window until this week she had no problem noses having the same problem. She almost acts like she is having problemsseiin the depth of the stair . She sits at the bottom and stutter starts and the gives up until you help her by placing her front paws on first step and puttin your hand on her bottom and fuiding her up the 2 steps. Coming down is no problem. What could this be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes bad he has very rough pads onrear deer (calluses) but I'm using cream and doggibg socks ad night kthey have grippers so they're non slip
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tory .5 1/2 shih tzu - Maltese
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Maltese?
Customer: She has food allergies and is on a frozen raw all beef food
Not scorch her legs touch her legs
Answered in 1 day by:
7/15/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing with the ramp usage?

Has Tory had any veterinary evaluation for her rear legs? X-rays?

Is she on any medication?

No video sorry but it's just hesitation when going up a step . She was given rymadol a few years ago for a sore leg from jumping off the bed ( which we don't allow any more) we pick her up to go up or down off beds and the sofa. But yesterday I started her on half a children's chewable Motrin once a day in the mornings and she seems a bit more active today she actually went up the door entrance by herself and ran around the back yard playing with the yorkie next door.

Please do not give any additional Motrin. Ibuprofen can be toxic to dogs.

Knowing that she's had some improvements with the Motrin, it would be wise to consider an NSAID regimen from your vet that is safe for her to take such as rimadyl or meloxicam. I would also urge you to start her on a joint supplement (I use and recommend http://www.glycoflex.com) and also permitting your vet to take some spinal, hip and lower limb x-rays to determine if this is just arthritis or something more concerning. In a pinch, aspirin can be given and is much safer for dogs than Motrin. Dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you... No more Motrin

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse