PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I read your thread about CHF thank you

Hi Gary I read your thread about CHF thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am dealing with chf and ph
She is on lasix enlapril once a day pimobendin and now viagra
Her lungs were fine after an X-ray 2 days later she had fluids she is in chf trying to get it down but worried about her kidneys
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm on 50mg for the day today she is usually on 30mg per day do I just keep adding until she stabilizes ?

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It does not appear that Dr. Gary has signed on since your question was posted. Would you like my assistance instead?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
SURE

How can I best assist? Are you concerned about the amount of lasix your girl is taking each day?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
her cough and appetite

Can you tell me more about both? How much does she weigh? When were her kidney values last checked?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
14 lbs and the kidneys were2.2 she is so so today yesterday was better but she had less lasix today usually she is inbetween 10 15mg twice a day now its 25 -30mg per dose enalapril one a day pimobendin and viagra

Can you clarify how many milligrams are being given of each medication and how many times per day?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pimobendom is twice a day don't have it handy
Enalapril 2.5 mg once a day
Viagra for pulmonary hypertension 10 mg twice a day
Lasix giving her 30mg twice a day as she has fluid in her lungs at the moment she is usually 10-15mg twice a day so double

The answer to your question above regarding how much to give of the lasix is both a "yes" and a "no" answer. Lasix is often an "as much as it takes" medication, but this is understanding the direct correlation that it may have substantial effects on the kidneys in the future. If your vet has prescribed 30mg twice daily, they will typically recommend this for a short period of time and then drop the pet down to a lower maintenance regimen (usually higher maintenance level than before) to prevent CHF from developing again. That said, 30mg twice daily is a substantial amount of lasix so hopefully it works quickly and she can resume a maintenance dose that is lower. Once this happens, her cough will likely have resided.

If this didn't thoroughly answer your question, let me know and I'll help further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I'm going to continue until Monday should I get X-rays again or just monitor the breathing ?

X-rays are always worthwhile to check improvement. If you have the option to have x-rays done again to determine how her treatment is going, I would absolutely go this route.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy