PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Her seems to be swollen, she vomitted 3 times yesterday and

Her butt seems to be swollen, she vomitted 3 times yesterday and she keeps pooing in the house. Which she never does. Also her gums seem to be swollen as well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that i know of. There were some kids over on the weekend and one of them threw up near the area that she sleeps in
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** shes 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?
Customer: No

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share pictures of the swelling of the gums and anal area?
2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?
3) Is her stool normal? Soft? Diarrhea? Any blood?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There haven't been any major changes to her diet. She eats wer food occasionally but other wise it the standard dry food. With the kids over sometimes they tend to feed her human food when nodody is looking. The environment has been the same for about a month so nothing new.
With her stool, i did notice some blood in it about 3 weeks ago... but nothing since then. Otherwise its been between gard and soft which is normal for her

Can you share pictures of the swelling of the gums and anal area?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are the pictures of her anus and mouth

Her gums do appear to be swollen and irritated, but that appears to be secondary to periodontal disease. I would urge you to address this with her veterinarian. She could greatly benefit from a sedated dental cleaning. As for the vomiting, accidents in the house and soft stool, I can give you some directions to use as home. However, if she does not improve or she worsens you'll need to have her examined and treated by your vet. The symptoms may be due to having consumed human food, even small bits given by the children, but the blood may indicate intestinal parasites like hookworms, whipworms or even a severe gastritis, possibly due to consumption of human food.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy

Checking in. How is Misty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is much better now. Vomiting has stopped along with the soft stool and she is back to only using the bathroom outside. Thanks