Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

She is having problems breathing. It seems like she is

She is having problems breathing. It seems like she is coughing trying to get something out of her throat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jane. She is 11. She is a Chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jane?
Customer: She is eating drinking and going to the bathroom. Two weeks ago she threw up several times heaving for two hours. Then she continued to act like she was going to throw up for one more day. She ate a lot of grass For some reason she kept chewing at the carpet which is unlike her

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has Jane been doing this?

Is she still eating/drinking normally?

Is she still having these symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For 3 days. Is there anytime can send you a video

There should be a paperclip icon on your end that you can send the video through...otherwise you can upload it to something like Facebook and provide m e a link.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to send you a video
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just sent a video
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5mb. Is hard to send. Frustrating

I understand.

Does it look anything like either of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WThsZp6ymvo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnGNClqdX0

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It sounds like tracheal cough. What should I do
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes when she wakes up in the morning. And maybe once or twice a day. For about five minutes.

Awesome. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's not uncommon for older, small breed dogs to develop tracheal collapse. Some breeds and some dogs are prone to collapsing trachea. This can be a chronic, degenerative issue that could impact the health of the dog. You can find more information on this particular issue here( and although this is an article about small breeds, there are large breeds with this issue as well): http://www.toybreeds.com/health.htm

If this were my dog, I would have your vet take a peek at her, just to be sure that's what she has going on. They'll likely want to run some blood work to make sure that her overall health is good, and they may want to take an x-ray of her lungs, just to be on the safe side.

The important thing to remember is that dogs with tracheal collapse can live very long, very normal lives, but having your vet take a peek is the best bet so that if this is tracheal collapse, it can be managed.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If the vet says it is Tracheal cough. What can be done

Sometimes, if it's bad enough, they may want to put her on steroids...but I have a 15 year old maltipoo who has it as well and we don't treat it. It just comes and goes with no problems.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
CVT_in_MN