Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Can i know why my shihtzu male of 4months trying to lick his

Hey
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Can i know why my shihtzu male of 4months trying to lick his private part
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I would like to know
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No he's not hurt he seems fine.. he does it everyday
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shihtzu name is ***** ***** his age is 4months
JA: How old is Tedd?
Customer: 5 month running
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tedd?
Customer: I mean i think it's weird that he try to do the thing while holding my leg
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nope there's is no wound yes i did check
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. The grabbing your leg is due to him not being Neutered. This him coming into puberty and making himself feel good. It a a form of maturbation. The licking could be for same reason. It also can be because he is cleaning himself or if he is licking penis, there may be a little urinary tract infection or cleaning Smegma, which is dirt, dead skin and urine. If you want to curtail the humping behavior Neutering will help as far as the licking, dogs will do that no matter what we do to stop them it is a normal grooming behavior. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this common? Coz he is just 4
Months old.. does he hit puberty now itself?

Yes this is common in male dogs. Male dogs that are not Neutered get more sexually aggressive as they are reaching Puberty. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/mounting-and-masturbation Having him Neutered may help the situation. Also a Canine obiedence class will also help with control of unwanted behaviors.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

How is your dog doing? I wanted to check in. Was the information supplied helpful?

Joan