Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

We just sprayed a small area with ant spray and my 4lb.

We just sprayed a small area with ant spray and my 4lb. Yorkie we think got near it for just a moment as we were washing dishes. She keeps gagging as if to vomit but hasn't vomited and seems to be breathing fine. Should I take her to emergency vet or just monitor?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cricket. She's 1 year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about She 's?
Customer: She is so tiny

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Cricket.

In most cases, these types of insecticides don't contain ingredients which will toxic to the pet who ingests them, per se. They may cause drooling or nausea such as you are seeing.

If you haven't already done so, I'd rinse her mouth out several times with cool water. More than likely, her symptoms will be self-limiting and should resolve within a relatively short period of time. An ER visit shouldn't be necessary.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! She has already begun to calm down and never did vomit. I learned she may have been in a reverse sneeze from the inhalant but probably didn't ingest. Feel much better having you confirm it's ok to keep watch. Thanks so much!

You're more than welcome.

I'm glad to hear that she already appears to be improving; hopefully, she'll return to her normal self very soon:)

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb