Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Looking for dosage recommendation for my Golden Retriever

Customer Question

Looking for dosage recommendation for my Golden Retriever who is pregnant. She is on 400 mcg 1x a daywhich I normally continue through whelp. She is 63 pounds. Recently I heard she should be on 400 mcg 2x a day and only for the first 30 days and then stop.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Golden Retriever?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

I would be happy to help, but what are you giving at 400 mcg per day?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Folic Acid
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

Thanks! Give me a moment to do some research.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 days ago.

The published dose for a dog her size would be 120 to 300 mcg per day, total dose. I got that from a reproduction specialist on Veterinary Information Network. That can be continued through the pregnancy.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I did not hear back from you. Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?