Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our terrier mix has not eaten for over 24 hours. Mikey is 7.

Our terrier mix has not eaten for over 24 hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Mikey is 7.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mikey?
Customer: He circles a lot but when I look it doesn't look like he has had a bm. He is overweight.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are 4 places on our carpet that looks like it might be thrown up bile. But we also have a cat and another dog. It happened while we slept so not sure if it was from Mikey. The other 2 animals are eating fine though.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Recently started feeding him and our other dog a grain free kibble.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.

How is Mikey acting?

Did you switch foods quickly, or gradually over time?

Is he urinating/defecating normally?

If you press his belly, does he act like it's painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is acting normal.
We always integrate the new food with some of the old.
He does his business outside. When I went out with him this AM he circled a lot but I never saw any stool.
I can't tell if he is uncomfortable when I press his belly or not. He doesn't yelp. Just watches me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just offered him a 3 x 4 inch sheet of seaweed. He ate it.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At this point, I suspect he's just got an upset stomach from the food change...which means that generally a day of fasting with only water available followed by a couple days of bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled hamburger will get the feeling better.

I know you just gave him seaweed, but at this point I wouldn't offer him anything else for the rest of the day. Allow that stomach to really settle. Then tomorrow, start the bland diet and see how that goes.

I would expect him to be back to normal by a day or so, but if he's still vomiting on Monday, or if he develops any other symptoms, you should have him seen by his vet, just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

You're very welcome!