How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18917
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate mouse poison sometime today or yesterday, Yes I

Customer Question

My dog ate mouse poison sometime today or yesterday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: Yes I found it while cleaning out my bathroom vanity cabinet is d con pellets but I can't find the box he ate all the pellets in the 3 oz tray
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is at least 12 years old. medium size dog
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. The absolute best thing to do in this situation is to get him to your vet / an ER clinic now. They can make him vomit and see if there is currently some in his stomach now. They can then give him doses of activated charcoal over the course of 24 hours, and they can start up Vitamin K1. These mouse poisons can either be of the type that causes bleeding, or the type that causes neuron injury. The bleeding one has an antidote, the vitamin K1. The neurologic one has no antidote and decontamination with inducing vomiting and then the activated charcoal is the best that can be done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pretty much knew that much. I think it is Bromolin and the only thing is the charcoal
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Bromethalin is the neurologic one. It is unfortunately again the one where decontamination is the only thing that can be done with the inducing of vomiting and then the subsequent doses of activated charcoal. I will be very honest here and say that a pup came into my ER last weekend that had eaten bromethalin the day before (they didn't get to us / contact us till 30 hours after ingestion) and all we could do was supportive IV fluids and activated charcoal every 8 hours. It wasn't enough and she passed. She was already showing signs of the toxicity on arrival so we were very late in trying anything. She was actually defecating out the green poison in her stools on arrival.

Related Dog Questions