Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Powhatan.
I don't see any previous message about his jelly fish ingestion so perhaps it has been lost in the ethernet:( In any event, please give me a few minutes to type back a reply for you. Deb
Fortunately, the jellyfishes found in North America rarely cause systemic toxicity; ingestion of them will often cause the patient to vomit...such as in this case with Powhatan...but usually not much more than this. A few dogs might have develop inflamed mucous membranes which may require veterinary attention but most dogs will just vomit.
I would expect his nausea to be fairly self-limiting but otc Pepcid AC (Famotidine) may be of benefit. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight and can be given twice a day, if necessary.
I'd also withhold food for several hours until everything has settled down.
I hope this helps, Deb
Vinegar can be applied to his skin if he was stung but I wouldn't advise that you make him swallow any. As I understand it, jelly fish sting where there are hair follicles....obviously not present in the mouth or stomach so he wouldn't be "stung" if he ate one, only if his skin can in contact with it.
I'm not an expert on jellyfish by any means but my research indicates that it's hair follicles which trigger this response. I suppose I could be wrong about that.
But, in any event, I see no harm in giving him a small amount of meat tenderizer or baking soda but I honestly don't think it's necessary...not at this point anyway unless the tissue in his mouth or tongue look inflamed.
It's primarily the nausea which would need to be addressed. Deb
You're more than welcome.
Best of luck with keeping him from eating any in the future:) Deb
Let's hope he learns from this experience...which he should if he's bright....although having said that, dogs who have encounters with porcupines don't seem to learn to avoid them (at least not in my neck of the woods!!!). Deb