How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16919
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 2-3 30 mg vyvanse she is 75lbs, Kali, 9montha, 9

Customer Question

My dog ate 2-3 30 mg vyvanse she is 75lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kali, 9montha
JA: How old is Kali?
Customer: 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kali?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Kali ingested 2-3 30mg Vyvanse, and I understand that you are concerned.

She is a big girl, and that is a plus in a toxin ingestion situation, but dogs are very sensitive to the effects of stimulants/amphetamine family drugs. Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine dimesylate which is a drug in the amphetamine family.

Ideally we need to get this drug out before she has a chance to digest and absorb these pills, and suffer the effects of this drug.

It may be too late now to induce vomiting, and if it has been more then an hour and a half the medication is likely already absorbed and it is too late.

If she is not showing any symptoms yet, (racing heart rate, hyperactivity, possible seizures and collapse),then you can try and induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide. But if she is showing any symptoms then that is not recommended.

To induce vomiting you can give her 3 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide soaked up with bread. Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present

Once she clears her stomach to try and settle her stomach today after she vomits you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at dose of two 10mg tablets every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach and reduce irritation from the peroxide.

if you do not have fresh (unexpired) peroxide or she doesn't vomit she should see a veterinarian immediately. This is a serious toxin exposure.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Symptoms of toxicity can be seen at 1mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. Severe signs (seizures, collapse) can be seen at 10mg per kilogram of body weight.

If she is 75 pounds she is 34kgs.

So for a 34kg dog a toxic dose would be 34mgs, or just over one 30mg tablet, and a severe toxicity would be at a dose of 340mgs.

Even if she only ate two tablets (60mgs) that is a toxic dose for a pup her size.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****