PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We are adopting a 2 year old dog that recently had puppies.

Customer Question

We are adopting a 2 year old dog that recently had puppies. We are also getting one of the puppies. The foster mom says mama dog is allergic to the puppies saliva and is back on Benedryl. She has had the mama since before the birth of the pups. The pups are currently at other foster homes, but saw her at an adoption event and were kissing all over her. Is this something that will change over time? Should we not adopt both?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The mama is currently called Barbie, and the pup we are looking at is currently called Belle. Is this common? I don't want Barbie to be miserable if Belle is being affectionate.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barbie?
Customer: That is all I know about her. Otherwise I think she is healthy. The foster mom has not said there are any issues.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I would personally speak with Bella's vet before going through with the adoption. If she is truly allergic to another dog's saliva, it would be the first time I had ever heard of it happening. We typically see allergies to food sources and environmental factors like plants, trees, grasses, etc. If she does have allergies, this needs to be addressed medically and Benadryl may not be the fix. It would be worthwhile to sit down with the vet and discuss what's been done medically and what options exist for treatment in the future. If these are allergies, they may be chronic problem for her and you'll need to be aware of what treatment consists of. Giving Benadryl daily should be simple, but if she worsens are you willing to visit a dermatologist regularly? Perform allergy shots at home? These should all be considerations before adoption. So long as your conversation goes well, I don't think there's any reason both dogs could not be adopted together into your home.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How are things going with Barbie and Bella?