Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Hope Animal Clinic
99041463

Last Tuesday, our dog suddenly stopped eating and didn't

Customer Question

Last Tuesday, our dog suddenly stopped eating and didn't want to move. She wouldn't go up and down stairs. Her eyes are red (the whites of her eyes). She threw up on Wednesday, but then seemed like her stomach settled down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: , although she refused all food and activity. We took her in to the vet on Saturday and she thought that perhaps she had hurt her back, and put her on metacam for inflammation. Our dog still wasn't responding or eating (she was drinking) so we took her back on Tuesday. Now she has been taking gapapentin, metronidazole, along with the metacam. However, today she isn't eating, is vomiting again, and has loose green tarry stool. And I can't get anything in her for food without vomiting asa reaction. I'm at a loss as to what to do. She's lost at least a pound as of Tuesday. She's a yorkie.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abbey. Age 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbey?
Customer: She was not running a fever. X-rays showed nothing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Katherine Schmidt replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear about your dog having this issue. This sounds like it could be more serious than a back issue at this point. My main concern is the vomiting and not wanting to eat. A lot of the time dogs with a back issue will start to want to eat after 1-2 days on medications and most of them don't have vomiting as an issue. I would recommend getting your sweet girl in to the vet for some bloodwork to make sure there's nothing going on internally such as an infection, a liver or kidney issue, an electorlyte imbalance, etc. This can give you an idea of what is going on. Sometimes it can be as simple as her needing a little help turning it around with some hospitalization on IV fluids and some nausea medications. You will know more about what she needs after some bloodwork. That's the route I would go to start. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!