Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My sister in law is visiting with her elderly dog we noticed

Customer Question

My sister in law is visiting with her elderly dog we noticed head tilt and wobbly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pebbles. Approximately 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pebbles?
Customer: She ate well and drank earlier
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you noticing any strange movement with the eyes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just started a little while ago. She also just vomited.. no strange movement with her eyes. Gums pink. No breathing difficulty... head was tilted.. she has some issues with her ears. Cleaned them.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Do you know if Pebbles ever had this issue in the past? What type of dog is Pebbles? With what you are describing it sounds like she may have a condition called Vestibular disease. This is where something is affecting her balance usually associated with the brain. Common issues for this could include a severe ear infection but it can also occur in older dogs for unknown reasons. Usually it can pass on its own or sometimes if it is really bad then medication may be required to help with the balance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No issues like this before she is a Boston terrier mix. She seems very alert.

You said that she has had issues with her ears in the past. Do you mean she has had ear infections? If she has an ear infection then you may want to see if the signs improves it helps when the ears are treated. Otherwise you can ask your veterinarian about trying a medication called Meclizine if she is really bad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
infections

Do you currently have medications for the ears? If you do I would start treating them to see if that helps.