Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is year and 1/2 old--I leave on an island away from a

Customer Question
vet-- she is vomiting and...
My dog is year and 1/2 old--I leave on an island away from a vet-- she is vomiting and drinking a lot of water-- very lathargic --is there something I can do??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about year?
Customer: She was completely fine up until this morning --has been eating and everything normal -- this came on this morning a couple of hours ago
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
6/15/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep that water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

She drank lots of water and now the she is calm and resting-- no diarrhea-- no tenderness-- no pain-- gums are sticky

Thank you,

Now we do need to tread with care here.

Though while increased thirst can be a sign of organ issues (ie heart, liver, kidney) or metabolic disease (ie diabetes, Cushing's, etc); in her case I suspect that if this came on with the vomiting it is related to GI inflammation or she is drinking a lot to try to make herself empty her stomach. So, I'd be more suspicious that your lass's signs are being caused by a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as toxicity isn't likely, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk even with her drinking since those sticky gums are a dehydration sign, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 24 hours; then we'd need to think about contacting the nearest vet and making a trek to them. Hopefully we won't need to do that but if we do then they can assess her, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself. But for the moment with her sudden onset signs, we'd use the above to try to soothe her stomach.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you -- she is testing
Now but
Not eating - I will observe her for a few hours and try the antacid and see how that goes
You are very welcome,
I would let her rest and that sounds like a fine plan once she is up.
Best wishes,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian