PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 7 year old male shih tzu. He was fine until he went

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old male shih tzu. He was fine until he went to the groomer last Saturday. He walks a few steps and sits down suddenly. He cries out in pain if I try to pick him up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: He doesn't jump on the couch either. I have steps to the couch for my older shih tzu and he uses those. He will look up like he wants to jump but won't do it
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does Tucker have any history of illness or injury?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Have any diagnostics been performed thus far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No to all three

There are a wide variety of concerns we can see in dogs that have symptoms similar to Tucker's.

First, we would want to check his anal glands and be sure they are fully expressed and not causing him any pain.

Second, we'd want to rule out the risk of arthritis, specifically since he's right at his senior years and is avoiding wanting to jump up.

Finally, we'd want to rule out neck/back spasms and a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This is one of the more common reasons we see dogs vocalizing in pain and avoiding furniture. This is a fairly common concern in small breed dogs. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

I would urge you to have an exam performed. Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check his neck, back and hips. They will likely recommend a few days of strict kennel rest, as well as a trial of NSAID therapy potentially combined with pain medication and muscle relaxers.

If you want to try something at home before going the veterinary route, Tucker can receive aspirin. Please visit the following link to learn about the pros and cons of using aspirin at home, as well as the dosage that's safe for him to receive: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tucker today?