Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is about 15 years old and recently has been extremely

Customer Question

My dog is about 15 years old and recently has been extremely thirsty and needing to urinate frequently
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?
Customer: She has a diagnosed heart murmur and has been on melds for the last 5 yrs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Annie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot accurately diagnose your dog's problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. The bot***** *****ne is that drinking excessively such as you describe would always be quite a cause for concern, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms so this is something you should have checked out sooner rather than later.

2. What I can do though is to talk you through just a few of the common possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know of. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere ...

A. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
B. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
C. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
D. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
E. Cushings syndrome

3. Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. Sadly there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, however a thorough clinical examination followed by a quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Annie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her excess drinking ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott