Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our Goldens got into and ate a tube of Putty mix. It is the

Customer Question

Our Goldens got into and ate a tube of Wood Putty mix. It is the size of a glue stick. It only hardens when mixed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Not sure what one ate it. One is a male Golden 9 years old and 95 pounds. The other is a 1 1/ year old male Golden about 80 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Not?
Customer: Dogs are acting fine. I was at a meeting for 2 hours, when they got the putty off the counter and I can't find any remnants.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What brand was it?

Any appetite loss, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting for either of them?

Are their gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on each dog's belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't know the brand. It was the type that you knead to mix and then it will harden. No gagging, drooling or vomiting. Gums are pink, not moist.No signs of tenderness or pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now if we don't know the brand or the ingredients, we cannot access the full potential risk here. Though as most are made with inert items like talc or calcium carbonate, we'd be cautious optimistic that this isn't going to cause severe issues. That said, if you want to be safe here with your lads, consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we need to keep a close eye and can offset any GI upset with a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And we can treat both as suspects here since they aren't giving you any clues who has been the mischievous one here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )