Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog just swallowed a racket ball,, 4 no vet intown on

Customer Question

dog just swallowed a racket ball
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: george, 4 no vet intown on sundays
JA: How old is george?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about george?
Customer: like what
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Let's see if we can get George to vomit it up. How much does he weigh, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
60lbs mixed breed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thats fine how can i get him to vomit

With a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek, give 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. If he doesn't vomit or vomiting doesn't produce the ball, it might be removed endoscopically at a 24-hour veterinary facility.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he vomited but no ball yet, should we try a second dose in 15 minutes? we are out in the country probably 2 hrs to phoenix, no idea where it would be.
no local vet on sunday. what if i cant get him to vet today

Yes, please do. If he doesn't vomit it, it could pass into his small intestine and obstruct it. The best scenario would be that it remained in his stomach and could be extracted by scope tomorrow. If it obstructs, him, however, you'll see persistent vomiting and anorexia which should prompt attention from a vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?