Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog dug up a plant and ingest some soil that we

Customer Question

My dog dug up a plant and ingest some soil that we fertilized with fish emulsion.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: He threw up a couple times, but otherwise seems normal.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we saw. Now he will not eat his treats.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shiloh and he's about 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shiloh?
Customer: He still goes out and runs around
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is quite common this time of year. Provided Shiloh hasn't had a lot of soil (as that could cause a blockage), we'd just want to start supportive care to soothe his stomach. To do so, to settle his nausea/vomiting we can treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we can plan to offer a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to push any lingering fertilizer through his gut and support digestion.

Overall, as Shiloh is still bright and active we can start the above now. Of course, if his vomiting is too much for the above to settle, he develops belly pain or straining to pass the fertilizer he hasn't brought back up, then we'd want his local vet to assess him and treat with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- fluids or an enema to get this all passed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.