PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog got diarrhea last night. He seemed to be fine earlier

Customer Question

Hi! My dog got diarrhea last night. He seemed to be fine earlier today but now he's shaking and panting. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** about 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scotty?
Customer: Yep! He had his kidney function checked about a month ago and everything was normal. I'm not aware of anything he may have gotten into that would have made him sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Any vomiting?

Is he eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No changes to diet in food or treats. I can't think of any human food that I've given him, and he isn't into digging in the trash. Maybe torn up toys?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He ate dinner fine but hasn't pooped since about 4:30am and I haven't seen him drink any water

I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of feces since 4:30 this morning. When pets are having diarrhea, they will clear their bowels quickly from the diarrhea and, thus, produce feces less often. It's common for 3-5 days to be required for pets to produce regular bowel movements following a GI upset.

The shaking and panting may be due to nausea now that he's eaten dinner. It's not uncommon for nausea to accompany diarrhea. I would recommend that you administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

If you haven't already placed him on a bland diet like boiled rice and chicken, that may also help calm the symptoms of panting, shaking and the diarrhea. If the symptom persists, I would recommend a vet visit. They will likely want to run bloodwork and a fecal examination to see if there is a cause for the diarrhea, which might also explain the additional symptoms you've witnessed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Scotty?