PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has had diarrhea on and off for awhile. We intitially

Hi. My dog has had diarrhea on and off for awhile. We intitially thought it was because we got her new treats. WE had some Talc powder from a previous vet that we gave her and she seemed to be fine. But she continues to have watery or soft stool and tonight we noticed there was quite a bit of blood in it and my husband mentioned it looked like she was trying to throw up, but that was hours ago and nothing since. She also didn't eat her dinner tonight... Not sure, but really worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: we just wiped her butt and it is bloody.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: she is on allergy shots and recently had an ear infection so was on antibiotics that we squirted in her ear for that... but she hasn't had any antibiotics in a few days.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Was this a powder provided by the vet or actual talc powder?

What treats are being used?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a 4 year old. There is always a chance our dog could have gotten to a toy. But haven't noticed anything. And she doesn't usually eat toys only chew some. The talc powder was given by a vet. But quite awhile ago. Is there a chance its expired? Would that make her sick? She has been getting one treat. And it's pupperoni. We don't deviate from that as she usually gets sick when we introduce anything new.

If it was quite a while ago, yes, it could very well be expired but this typically doesn't cause illness. Was there a name on the medication that was prescribed? Has your vet performed any diagnostics like a fecal examination? Have you noticed any vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No vomiting but she almost did earlier today. She was trying to around 5 hours ago and nothing since. Her ears drops are Baytril/micon/ dex soln. It was for a bacterial/ yeast infection in her ears due to allergies. No fecal test was done but itinerary and blood was as she's on an allergy pill as well, apoquel
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Urine and blood tests were done. Sorry. Spell check switched that up.

The medication I am referring to is the powder, do you have a name for that one?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. the writing is worn. I can't read it. But they referred to it at the appointment as "talc powder"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only gave her a tiny pinch on the end of a pupperoni to get her to eat it.

Since a fecal exam hasn't been run, I would ask your vet to do this to ensure that intestinal parasites aren't to blame here.

Avoiding food is likely due to nausea. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much! We are going to take her to the vet tomorrow morn just to be safe. She is 10 years old and I have never witnessed blood in her stool so I am nervous. You have been a tremendous help. Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy