Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She ate carpet, Nova 4 months, She is not eating or

Customer Question

She ate carpet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nova 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nova?
Customer: She is not eating or drinking. She is also puking
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Can she keep anything down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can she pass stool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A day and half go
Only sometimes water
Pinkish pale color
She doesn't act like she's in pin when I press on her tummy
And yes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now we need to be careful with Nova.

If she has eaten that that long ago and we have appetite loss with vomiting, this rings alarm bells of a possible blockage. And the additional worry with carpet is that the strands can lacerate and cut through the gut as well as cause it to fold up on itself. So, we need to be very careful here.

With that in mind, if her gums are paler then usual for her (a worry of gut bleeding or GI circulation compromise), then we'd want her seen urgently to be safe. Otherwise, we can try some supportive care to see if we can help her. For that, we'd first need that nausea/vomiting under control. To do so, you can try treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though if she can and we settle that, then we'd want to offer small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push the carpet through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on Nova. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia or paling gums (hence my worry), straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. So, if she isn't paler then usual for her, you can consider the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs or she doesn't respond to the above, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be safest to make sure we don't have a blockage that may need surgery to remove.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.