Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our German Shepherd has been diagnosed with Babesia but he

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. Our German Shepherd has been diagnosed with Babesia but he is eating like a horse and not showing any of the symptoms for the disease EXCEPT that he initially had a high fever. Our worry is that he has lost a lot of weight due to his anaemia and has had to date 3 blood bags.His recent blood test shows pancitopania. He has had a marrow test and that shows no problem but he is just not putting on any weight. He has gone down from 31kgs to 23kgs and his blood count is going down still. He is seeing specialist after specialist and has had two stays in hospital. He is currently on Doxiciclina and Omeprazol and Prednisolona and vitamin tablets. He has been on Doxiciclina for 4 weeks now. Any thoughts?!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is not vomiting neither does he have any problem urinating or defecating. However he is very listless and exhausted all the time with no energy. He is 3 in July and has never had any problems. I moved to Brazil from the UK and flew Kahn over last March 2016.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello thereThere is no need now for a response. Our dog has gone.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please could someone get back to me with an acknowledgment as least.
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 3 months ago.

I'm so sorry for your loss,

Dr. Snow