Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is acting restless and her body is jerking or jolting

Customer Question

my dog is acting restless and her body is jerking or jolting periodically. no other symptoms. not seizure looking?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Puckett 1 yr. does not look like seizures
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puckett?
Customer: she eats normal with treats. runs and going potty normal. it was worse last night we gave her a little benadryl and another warm bath thinking the flee shampoo I used might be the problem even tho I used it before or the advantage II I put on her was the problem. seems better today but still restless jerking and jumpy. looks at her butt like someone touched her. then moves and tries to get comfortable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

What kind of dog is Puckett?
Do you ever see her scooting her butt on the ground?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is a shiny when she was a few month she did and I thought it was worms took her to get and he did something with her glands. she is not scooting. like right now she is turning info a circle then digging action and layers down then looks like she has a couple hiccups. now she is laying calm
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is a shiziu not shiny
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I suspect that the behaviors you're seeing are actually due to her anal glands again...especially when you tell me that she's had them expressed in the past.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.
There's a great article on them here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_anal_sac_problems
As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.
Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa