Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog's left lower lip is droopy and he can't blink on the

Customer Question

Hello. My dog's left lower lip is droopy and he can't blink on the left eye plus his eyes a moving erratically sometimes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 8 year, he will be 9 in august
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kuku?
Customer: He is a mixed breed dog with several breeds in question
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing facial nerve paralysis on Kuku's left side of his face. The symptoms of facial paralysis may include a rapid onset of drooling from one side of the mouth, inability to blink, apparent ear droop and occasional deviation of the nose away from the affected side, and food may collect in the affected commissure of the lips which results in halitosis. His menace and palpebral reflex may be absent and ptosis (upper eyelid droop) is possible. The main goal of treatment is to prevent corneal ulceration. The remaining manifestations of facial paralysis need no special therapy. Sterile lubricant ophthalmic ointment should be applied to the affected eye(s) at least every 6-8 hours to prevent exposure keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and corneal ulceration.

The prognosis for complete recovery is guarded. Some dogs will regain variable levels of function to the facial nerve but many have some degree of residual deficit. It's important that Kuku's vet (or a specialist veterinary neurologist - please see here: www.acvim.org) performs a neurologic evaluation to rule out other common causes of facial nerve dysfunction such as otitis media/interna (middle/inner ear infection), hypothyroidism, ear polyps, and polyneuropathies. When they cause facial paralysis, diseases of the central nervous system such as neoplasia, encephalitis, congenital malformations, and trauma are usually accompanied by additional neurologic signs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.