Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 2 year german today I noticed drops of bright blood on

Customer Question

my 2 year german today I noticed drops of bright blood on towel where he lays when looking him over I noticed his penis was very odd looking bright red and large. After petting him it did go back in and then came out small and normal looking however blood appears to be at opening of where the penis comes out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bobo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bobo?
Customer: We have only had him for 3 months he was given to us by someone else. He is full breed and at our house he has a yard that he can run in now, he sleeps under porch in dirt. Loves to chew on wood stuff and eat grass to find that stuff in his poop
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bobo. If Bobo is intact (not castrated), the blood you're seeing is most often due to acute prostatitis. Bobo's vet can rectally and abdominally palpate Bobo's prostate gland and determine if it's inflamed, irregularly shaped, or painful - all of which can indicate prostatitis. Castration plus a couple of weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland should be curative. Antibiotics alone can be effective but treatment may need to extend to 4-6 weeks and recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is common.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.