Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Is there a medication similar to Flomax for dogs? We have a

Customer Question

Is there a medication similar to Flomax for dogs? We have a Westie with bladder cancer who has had surgery and chemo. She is going towards the end but is still active. We would like to see if there is something to relieve her straining.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Mishy. She is 11.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mishy?
Customer: I think I've provided what information I can. She had surgery 12/28/2015. Had 2 rounds of chemo after that.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Flomax (tamsulosin) can be safely administered to dogs at an anecdotal dose of 0.1 mg per 10 kg of body weight daily or 0.4 mg total dose per dog once daily on an empty stomach initially; the dose may need to be increased in frequency to every 12 hours if no effects are seen at once daily dosing. Mishy's vet can prescribe this drug. You're likely to be given a script that you can bring to a human pharmacy of your choice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.