How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19768
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a dachshund and another dog that ate a couple raisin,

Customer Question

have a dachshund and another dog that ate a couple raisin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Dante and the other dog is cooper
JA: How old is Dante?
Customer: 7 and cooper is 6 months and is a mix breed
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dante?
Customer: no both are in good health
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Yes, raisin and grapes are bad for dogs. And dogs that have consumed large quantities of grapes have developed kidney failure. Here is a link to a site, which talks about this.

http://www.uexplore.com/health/GrapesRaisinsAndDogs.html

The ASPCA study showed that as little as .15-.32 ounces per pound could have a toxic response. You can read more on this here:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/McKnight-Tox_Brief-Feb_VT_05.pdf?docID=3782

Treatment is frequently I.V. fluids at 1 ½ times the maintenance amount and monitoring the kidney values for a few days. You will need to estimate the weight of the raisins ingested to get an idea of whether there is the possibility of a toxic response. I don't think a couple of raisens is going to do anything to them but you should monitor them for symptoms of vomiting, possible loss of appetite and diarrhea, just in case for a few days. If you see any signs of toxicity, have them seen immediately. Many owners will go ahead and take them in anyway to have their kidney values monitored.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Our son dropped a bag and they got maybe 10 to 15 each.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

That is a bit more than just a couple of raisins. That may be enough to trigger a response. Dachshunds can be pretty small so that may be an issue. I would contact your regular vet and see if he wants to see your dogs tonight or would rather wait until the morning. Now if it happened in the last hour, you might try inducing vomiting. You can find out how to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3% at this site.

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. If you can get the majority of the raisins out of the dog's system, then they may not have any problems. Your vet might also be able to give them a stronger medication to induce vomiting and administer charcoal as well.

Go ahead and give your vet a call now.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.