PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is showing signs of panting, being very thirsty and

Customer Question

My dog is showing signs of panting, being very thirsty and yelping when her stomach is touched. They think it might be Cushing disease. She also has a black spot
on her chest that shows on x-ray.they are concerned about
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Other than that she is good. She is 11 years old and we have never had any problems with her until now. They are concerned that the spot on hthe xray could be something to do with the heart. She is overweight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best help today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her white cells are slightly elevated as well. They have put her on two pain meds and a muscle relaxer for the last few days. They have just added an anti biotic. They don't want to test for Cushing until this is under control. It's seems like we're putting out lots of money and not getting any answers.

Depending on what medications have been used up to this point, it may alter the test results and, thus, spend your money needlessly to diagnose Cushing's Disease when the test may need to be repeated diagnostically. If you feel you're spending lots without results, have you talked to your vet about referring your girl to a specialist? Especially in the beginning stages of diagnostics, pets are often diagnosed and treated based on "what the bloodwork says it might be" and "what the bloodwork says it isn't". Ailments like Cushing's Disease often involve many diagnostics without straight forward answers. In some cases, it's a diagnosis of ruleouts and it can certainly be frustrating for the owner.

How is your companion feeling today?