Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Thank you!My dog had a problem with his back legs yesterday

Customer Question

Thank you!My dog had a problem with his back legs yesterday (temporary instability) and the vet diagnosed a disc hernia in his spine. He prescribed prednisolone. I gave my dog half a tablet that evening; later he experienced a stroke; The vet affirms that the two things are not linked and that I should continue administering prednisolone along with the stroke treatment. But I'm worried that the prednisolone might have been the cause of the stroke...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There's no wound. My question is: should I continue to administer prednisolone?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He's 13 years old; he had a back problem a few years ago and recovered. Up until yesterday he was on fine form, apart from a little arthritis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Can you tell me what you witnessed that is being described as a stroke, please? By the principle of Occam's Razor his back leg ataxia ("drunken sailor") is most likely to be due to an encephalopathy (brain disorder) rather than myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as a slipped disk if you're seeing signs of a vascular encephalopathy (stroke) at this time.