Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Border Collie Puppy just ate a block of butter. what can

Customer Question

My Border Collie Puppy just ate a block of butter. what can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How is Tucker just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again

It appears you are struggling to reply, so I will post my thoughts about Tucker for you.

Now even a large amount of butter isn't a major worry for our dogs. Usually it will just cause short term vomiting, appetite loss and diarrhea. Though for sensitive dogs it could trigger a pancreatitis.

Therefore, we have 2 options. If he had this in the past hour and you want to err on the side of caution, we can induce vomiting to get as much as possible back up now. To do so, at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we can just monitor and take some steps to offset any risk of GI upset. To do so , you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm any loose stools quicker and support digestion. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, butter overindulgence like this is very common in dogs and usually we do just see mild GI upset for a few days. Though if you suspect your lad is a sensitive soul, then we can induce vomiting now to get some of this out. Otherwise, we'd just use the above to offset those signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Raymond,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?

Dr. B.