Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

LAST NITE, SHE WAS ON THE BED AND STARTED ACTING LIKE SHE

Customer Question

LAST NITE, SHE WAS ON THE BED AND STARTED ACTING LIKE SHE WOULD VOMIT. I PUT HER ON THE FLOOR AND SHE DIDN'T. NOW I GOT UP AT 3 AM TO CK ON HER AND SHE GOT OUT OF HER BED AND TRIED TO VOMIT, BUT NOTHING. WHAT TO DO?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I FED HER A SMALL PIECE OF BURRITO WITHOUT KNOWING IT HAD POTATOS IN IT. DID I POISON HER?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl who has been trying to vomit and who seems nauseous. Potato isn't toxic to dogs thankfully, but was the burrito quite hot? Did it have chilli, onion or garlic in it?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, no hot sauce, chilli, onion nor garlic. Just spinach, egg whites, alittle potato and burrito skin.It's 5:20am now and she's sleeping.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that and thanks for the info regarding the burrito. None of the items in this burrito are toxic to dogs thankfully, however the ingredients could have been enough to give her a bit of an upset stomach and nausea. The best bet here is to continue to keep a close eye on your girl overnight. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As she seems quite nauseous right now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hopefully those parameters are all ok. Let me know if you need any further information. I will be online for another 15 minutes or so.

Dr E