Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Im sooooo freaked out. My dog is the only family i have...

Customer Question
please tell me what to...
Im sooooo freaked out. My dog is the only family i have... please tell me what to do!!!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: My Maggie is a 10 year old plus Shih Tzu. I noticed the last few days that she seemed to be sensitive to light or just groggy. I got home tonight and when I really look closer I realized her eyes are both blue gray cloudtmy. Im panicking. What fo i do... do i need to rush her to emergency vet or ??
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Magge. Shes my only family and im freaking out
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Magge?
Customer: Not that i know of
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Hello.. pleeeeeeease HELP
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
This IS a potential emergency
... i cannor wait a day for a phone call!!!
5/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/glaucoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anterior-uveitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on Cataracts here:

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cataracts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. .. I would have my dog seen as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the eye.

If this was sudden and there is no discharge, then she may have a luxating lens on the eye. Now Shih Tzus are prone to eye conditions. Due to the fact that the breed has shallow eye sockets, they are prone to eye problems such as not being able to close their eyelid over the cornea of the eye (lagophthalmos ). Due to this problem they have the tendency to develop an inflammation of the cornea (Keratitis) which can become ulcerative in its severest form. This can lead to scaring that can decrease vision. In addition, due to they way the eye socket is, the eyelid can clamp behind the eyeball cutting off oxygen to the retina which can lead to blindness if not treated immediately. This is called proptosis.

They also can have problems with dry eye and their eyelashes irritating the eyeball and possibly causing chronic corneal irritation.. These conditions are Distichiasis and Ectopic Cilia. They also can have hereditary cataract or juvenile cataracts and PRA (progressive renal atrophy) which leads to blindness.

I would suggest that you have your dog seen by your vet as soon as possible.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Are you saying this can wait till morning ?? Or is this an emergency? Both eyes are completely grey blue and clouded over and they were not like that this morning. I only noticed her being light sensitive the last few days how urgent is urgent ohmygosh please tell me clearly what you were saying

If she was my dog I'd have her seen tonight since it was a sudden change and because of her breed. Many owners would wait until tomorrow but the quicker she is seen the better the chance of saving her eyesight.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.