Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My vet had my dog on previcox, and was treating the dog for

Customer Question

My vet had my dog on previcox, and was treating the dog for arthritis, and tramal for the pain, after about 4 weeks of the vet saying she is old and she has arthritis, the leg swelled so bad that it look like it was going to burst, we had them open the surgery on good Friday and they said it was not arthritis it was an infection and they prescribed cleocin 150 x 2 in the morning and the same in the afternoon, she has been on these for about 5 weeks and I found that she appear to be breathing abnormally, yesterday I stopped the antibiotics and the breathing became more normal, this morning I have noticed that she is slightly dragging the leg. When they prescribed the antibiotic they asked us to continue the previcox but just a half a tablet per day and the pain killer as needed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: the whole leg swelled up that's why they put her on the anyibotics
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chelsea
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chelsea?
Customer: She is 11 and a German shepherd
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What I can find regarding the Cleocin does not include difficulty breathing as an adverse effect. Can you tell me how you've been administering the pills? Have you scheduled a recheck for her since the episode of abnormal breathing occurred? Has she had any chest x-rays?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been giving the antibiotics in the morning and evening prior to food as instructed, the breathing issue has stopped since I stopped the antibiotic yesterday

I should have clarified, HOW are you giving them? In food?

Have you scheduled a recheck for her since the episode of abnormal breathing occurred? Has she had any chest x-rays?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just to clarify I was instructed to give Chelsea the antibiotics with an empty stomach and then give her the pain killer and previcox with food, the breathing is very fast short breaths, but as I said, I stopped the antibiotics yesterday and the breathing issue stopped. My concern is the lack of use of the leg and even though she is not fully dragging the leg she is not using the leg and it appears that there is a slight drag
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have measured all areas of the leg and the swelling has not increased since removal of the antibiotics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have paid the required 27 dollars how come no one is answering me now

For the sake of being thorough, there's more to address here than just the leg, which is why I have asked for you to clarify the steps that have been taken. Clindamycin, also known as Cleocin, can cause esophageal injuries and ulcers in the stomach if given without food. This may be why you witnessed abnormal breathing, due to discomfort, and now that she's not taking it she's not having issues. I would address this with your vet. If the symptoms arise again, I would recommend an examination and talking to your vet about chest x-rays. Abnormal breathing can be a symptom of problems with the heart, lungs, etc.

In regards ***** ***** leg, it's very possible that stopping the antibiotic has had a very fast turn around time for return of symptoms. Chances are that you won't be seeing swelling yet, but pain can certainly return without the antibiotics there to help with infection. Additionally, if you're only giving a half dosage of the previcox now, the pain will return even faster. If you'd like to attach a video of the way she's walking, I'd be happy to take a look. I do, however, think you need to have your vet recheck her promptly.

Checking in. How is Chelsea?