Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our 100 lb. golden retriever chewed on a half dollar size of

Customer Question

Our 100 lb. golden retriever chewed on a half dollar size of tomcat mouse poison. Not sure how much of it was ingested. Should we take to vet immediately?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes. He spit it out after chewing on it and our son took it away from him.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He was at vet two weeks ago and had a great check up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow chewed on a half dollar size of tomcat mouse poison, but I am glad that he is such a big fellow and that most of it was taken from him before he swallowed.

Most rodenticide poisons are anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone, coumafuryl, coumachlor, isovaleryl indanedione, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethiolone), but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins that cause brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures. With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food.

Do you know which active ingredient this particular rodenticide contained?