How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 3026
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 100 lb. golden retriever chewed on a half dollar size of

Customer Question

Our 100 lb. golden retriever chewed on a half dollar size of tomcat mouse poison. Not sure how much of it was ingested. Should we take to vet immediately?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes. He spit it out after chewing on it and our son took it away from him.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He was at vet two weeks ago and had a great check up.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow chewed on a half dollar size of tomcat mouse poison, but I am glad that he is such a big fellow and that most of it was taken from him before he swallowed.

Most rodenticide poisons are anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone, coumafuryl, coumachlor, isovaleryl indanedione, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethiolone), but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins that cause brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures. With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food.

Do you know which active ingredient this particular rodenticide contained?