Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog is panting a lot and her nose is warm, Sandy she is

Customer Question

My dog is panting a lot and her nose is warm
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sandy she is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sandy?
Customer: No. She normally a very healthy only ever has to see the vet once a year for vacinations
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sandy who has been panting a lot today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of reasons as to why Sandy might be panting like this. The warm nose could potentially indicate an elevated temperature, but because dogs are naturally warmer than us by nearly a degree and a half, it can be very hard to tell just be touching your dog's skin/nose/ears. The breathing issue could indicate anything from a primary cardiorespiratory issue, to parasites, a laryngeal problem, or even an internal organ issue or anemia. Whatever the case here, you are going to have to keep a very close eye on Sandy over the next few hours, and if this panting doesn't settle in the next hour or so, I would definitely recommend you get her seen by your local vet this afternoon if you can.

Over the next hour or two in particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

Best of luck with Sandy, and hopefully this panting settles soon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding your girl. I will be online for another 15 minutes or so.

All the best,

Dr E