Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Can u answer questions? she is 11 and her blood test came

Customer Question

can u answer questions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she is 11 and her blood test came back with high liver enzymes and elvated calcium levels.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: lucy American bulldog
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about American?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** is an American bulldog ok
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the vet recommended I get a test to see the ionized calcium and parathyroid hormone.. what will these tests prove? what kind of cancer could it be? what would be symtoms of the elevated levels?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucy. Can you upload a copy of all of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. To answer you directly, hypercalcemia in conjunction with elevated liver enzymes will indicate lymphosarcoma in the great majority of dogs such as Lucy. The ionized calcium, parathyroid hormone, and parathyroid hormone-related protein assays are useful for differentiating the different causes of hypercalcemia. I would direct my diagnostics to clarifying the cause of her high liver enzymes. This is done by ultrasounding her abdomen and performing an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of Lucy's liver.

Please clarify "...symptoms of elevated levels" for me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would she have any symptoms.. like drinking more... no energy... weight loss...

Symptoms would be predicated upon the etiology of the elevated liver enzymes and serum calcium. If lymphosarcoma involves her liver at this time, nonspecific symptoms of inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea, and malaise would be expected. As a liver fails, increased thirst, jaundice, and seizures can arise. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will an ultrasound of her abdomen show anything wrong with her liver??

Yes, as mentioned above, " I would direct my diagnostics to clarifying the cause of her high liver enzymes. This is done by ultrasounding her abdomen and performing an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of Lucy's liver."