PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My mini dachsie is 12. New seizures with neurontin working

Customer Question

My mini dachsie is 12. New seizures with neurontin working well. Last 4 days been constipated and not eating. Gave him canned food last night & he vomited most of the night. He is a rescue & is not 'willing' to take medications. We tried pumpkin as well, he won't eat it.ūüėĒ Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sir Edward
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Edward?
Customer: After one day of not taking his neurontin, he had 2 2 minute seizures within 8 hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is the canned food new to him or something you feed regularly?
2) How was the pumpkin offered? Mixed into something or fed straight?
3) Can you tell me more about the constipation concerns? Is he passing soft stool? hard clumps?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Usually feed him mini kibble. Both ways with the pumpkin. Stool is hard if at all.

It sounds like the canned food may have caused the vomiting. That said, if he's constipated and not wanting to eat this can also be connected. I can give you some steps to try at home, but if this does not improve rapidly or the vomiting persists, you're going to need to have him treated by your vet.

If the pumpkin did not work, you can mix flavor-free Metamucil into his diet. I would try to use at least 1 tsp per meal that you feed him: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metamucil-Smooth-Texture-Sugar-Free-Unflavored-114-Each/684409466?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1150&adid=22222222227076954694&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=189686981509&wl4=pla-294243419934&wl5=9026248&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549851&wl11=online&wl12=684409466&wl13=&veh=sem

Since he's been willing to eat the canned food, try a few tsp at a time to start. I would also consider using

a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sir Edward today?