Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 11 year old lab suffers from Cushin's, and arthritis is

Customer Question

My 11 year old lab suffers from Cushin's, and arthritis is curent ly on restylane, tralestine, and thyroid medication. A few weeks ago he was showing signs of weakness in his hind legs and was panting a lot at night. The vet prescribed seregiline for 10 days and it seemed to help. He had an appointment on Friday and the vet found him to be stable and was happy with his visit. However Saturday night he started to show signs of confusion again, Sunday he was having troupble getting up and was crying when he could not get up. I checked him and didn't seem to be in pain. Today he was arugula grandson to get up again, after giving him his mess in the morning he threw up and has refused to eat or drink. He can't get up on his own and seems to be restless.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I tried tongue ve him water with a syringe but he clinges his teeth and mouth very tight. He Had an accident in the house, has not had any bowel movements since
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

A confused and paretic (weak)/paralyzed cushingoid patient may be showing evidence of an expanding pituitary gland tumor or an unrelated myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) or encephalopathy (brain disorder). Cushing's is a thromboembolic (predisposes to blood clots) disease and so thrombosis in his central nervous system and lungfields (a common cause of death in cushingoid patients) needs to be considered as well. Whatever the cause, he needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.