Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Took my dog to the vet today the X-ray said large fluid

Customer Question

Took my dog to the vet today the X-ray said large fluid build up around the lungs and heart she can't breathe when she's laying down so we have a sling help support her while standing up so she could sleep there anything else we can do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mia 19
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Mia, please? You appear to be describing a thoracic effusion - fluid has collected in the chest cavity. To answer you directly, the reason for that fluid to have formed needs to be clarified and addressed before you can know how to help Mia. At Mia's advanced age, neoplasia (cancer) is the most likely cause. If "...fluid build up around the lungs and heart" refers to congestive heart failure, instead, Mia would need to be administered a diuretic and drugs designed to address the cause of her particular type of heart failure. Is Mia currently being administered medications?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My local vet said it probably was cancer too she prescribed Clavamox 250 milligrams one tablet every 12 hours and Ladin 50 gm every 12 hours she also said that if her breathing doesn't improve by wouldn't stay night I need to bring her anything about that having her put down but the reason for the question is she cannot breathe while she's laying down she has to be standing to be comfortable but where your heart going on day two of her with no sleep she's starting to fall asleep while standing is there any way we can get her into a comfortable enough position to get some sleep we tried to build a sling last night to help her stand but she didn't like to stand in it

Thank you for the additional information. I'm not aware of any device that can help these patients. When the chest is compressed by her lying down or held by a sling as you described, the lungs on the dependent side collapse leaving even less lung available to oxygenate Mia. If the Lasix can't remove that fluid, having Mia euthanized should be considered a kindness as she constantly feels as if she's suffocating at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.