Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 3 & 1/2 year old Wheaton Terrier is a pronounced limp in

Customer Question

My 3 & 1/2 year old Wheaton Terrier is a pronounced limp in his right front Paw. I have taken him to the humane society and they put him on
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Sorry, I hit send by mistake. We live in Boulder Colorado and cavorting to the Humane society it isn't lime diseases
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Lucca. This format is not conducive to long explanations. His vet has him on Rimadyl. At first it helped but he is still limping. Can Lucca have arthritis at such a young age?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucca?
Customer: No he loves to jump and I thought he may have sprained his right paw. This has gone on for almost a year. He has been exposed to ticks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucca. To answer you directly, yes, arthritis can arise at any age but if I saw it at Lucca's young age I would expect to find an underlying instability in a joint which was either congenital (present at birth) or arose secondary to trauma and now a degenerative arthritis exists. A simple sprain isn't likely if he's been lame for almost a year. Lucca needs his entire right leg carefully palpated (felt) to see where he's most painful. Once the pain is located, X-rays of that area are essential to better understand why he's painful and how he might be helped. If he's not responding to a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen (Rimadyl), he may require a stronger analgesic or even surgery to correct a soft tissue, bony, or joint problem.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Please note, too, that pain can arise from his cervical (neck) spine as well and radiate down into his limb. This is called a dorsal root signature sign similar to the pain of sciatica in a hind limb.