Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My female dog who has battled vaginitis her whole life has a

Customer Question

My female dog who has battled vaginitis her whole life has a sore on the outside of her vagina. After reading through a chain from your website it sounds like it could be a yeast infection. What do you recommend I treat her with and can I give her a prescription of EnteDerm? Will this help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is eight as of May. We've been treating vaginitis since she was a puppy. What other kind of sores could be on her vagina? It also smells
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hailey?
Customer: For the past couple of years she has been on and off medication - she was attacked by a dog on a hiking trail, then had several eye infections and most recently got a infection around her vagina that we treated with the EnteDerm. Now she seems not like herself, although she is eating and going to the bathroom just fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this sore to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Of course taking a picture now.

Thank you. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This could just be her vulva opening but it looks inflamed.

Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I don't see an anus dorsal (above) this opening as is present above the vulva. I'm having trouble orienting because the photo is quite dark but this looks more like a deep ulcer/skin laceration than a vulva. Can you get help lifting her tail up and taking a photo of her rear end which will show me her anus and vulva, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hopefully these are better.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She's a curly Portuguese Waterdog and her hair is uncanny.

I see a vulva but it's obscured by hair as you've noted. I'm sorry to be so picky but I really need a better view of what you're seeing. To answer you directly, however, Entederm does contain the antiyeast drug nystatin as well as two antibiotics and a glucocorticoid (steroid) and so a bacterial infection (a furuncle/boil) on the vulva or yeast (Malassezia) infection should respond to that ointment when applied twice daily for a minimum of 10 days.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. I'll need to try to take another picture in a bit and will send it over. I need to find someone to help me with this. What do ulcers look vs a yeast or bacterial infection?

An ulcer is a sore on the skin or a mucous membrane accompanied by the disintegration of tissue. Ulcers can result in complete loss of the epidermis and often portions of the dermis and even subcutaneous fat. Yeast and bacterial infections are usually superficial although ulcers can be seen with deep bacterial infection - a deep pyoderma.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Let me try for round three of pictures in the next little bit.

No worries. You can return to this conversation at your convenience. Please don't open up a new conversation instead.