How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16297
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She started to chew a fertilizer spike. She didn't ingest a

This answer was rated:

She started to chew a jones fertilizer spike. She didn't ingest a lot, but she has put teeth marks in it. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: betty...she's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about betty?
Customer: no...she's very healthy

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Betty chewed on a Jone's fertilizer spike.
The good news is that none of the ingredients in these fertilizer spikes are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients in a fertilizer.
High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more she ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see. Given that she just chewed on the spike, but did not ingest even one whole spike odds are that she will be just fine.
Depending upon how sensitive her stomach is you may see some nausea and loose stools over the next couple of days.
If she seems nauseous to settle her stomach you might want to give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 1half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They can be used as needed.
And you can also feed a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.
That should be all you need to do. And of course hide any more fertilizer that you may have from her. Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.
Although very, very unlikely if she has a very sensitive stomach you may see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet doesn't control. If that's the case she may need to see her veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything is fine, thank you.

I am very glad to hear that. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Dr. Kara and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you